Tag Archives: marriage

Marriage Certificates

Our office may assist with paper work necessary for U.S. citizens to marry in Korea, and, in the past, our office at the Embassy may have authenticated marriage certificates issued by various Korean ward offices and/or Seoul City Hall.  Because of this, many people have the misconception that they were married at the U.S. Embassy in Seoul.  At present and in recent history, U.S. Embassies do not perform marriages and do not maintain marriage records.  If at least one spouse is a Korean citizen your marriage should be documented on the standard Korean marriage certificate (혼인관계증명서, pronounced hone-in-gwan-gae jeung-myung-suh).  Marriage records are kept as part of Korean family registry information and may be obtained through local ward offices or city hall.

  • If your marriage was registered in Korea before January 31, 1995 a copy of a Korean marriage certificate may be obtained by writing to the Citizens Section, Seoul City Hall.  Please check with Seoul City Hall for the most up-to-date information before you send your request.  (Note:  You may be asked to send a copy of your ID, a return addressed envelope, and 30 dollars cash per document.)

International Marriage/ Citizen Affairs Section, Seoul City Hall

110 Sejongdae-ro, Jung-gu

Seoul Korea 04524

Tel: 011-82-2-2133-7903 (from U.S.)

  • If your marriage was registered between February of 1995 and before 2011 you should have received a Report and Certificate of Marriage Starting in 2011, the local district offices would have provided a Certificate of Marriage Registration (수리증명서, pronounced soo-ree jeung-myung-suh) A certified copy of either form may be obtained by writing to the specific ward office in which your marriage registration took place.  The ward office nearest to the U.S. Embassy in Seoul is the Jongro-gu Ward Office.  The majority of U.S. citizens in Korea registered their marriages there.  Please check with the appropriate ward office for the most up-to-date information before you send your request.  (Note:  You may be asked to send a copy of your ID, 5,000 Korean won per document, and additional money for return postage.)

Citizen Affairs Section, Jongro-gu Ward office
43 Sambong-ro, Jongro-gu

Seoul Korea 03153

Tel:  011-82-2-2148-1934 (from U.S.)

If you have difficulty reaching an English speaker at the appropriate ward office and/or Seoul City Hall, you may wish to contact the Seoul Global Center (SGC) for assistance: by phone at (02) 2075-4130, or by email at hotline@seoul.go.kr.  SGC is a comprehensive support center for foreigners operated by the Seoul Metropolitan Government, and offers assistance in English and other foreign languages.

Divorce in Korea: Resources and an Overview of the Process

You do not need to report your divorce to our office.  However, if you have filed an immigrant visa petition for your spouse to immigrate to the U.S., you should report your divorce to the U.S. DHS – Citizen and Immigration Services Office (CIS-Seoul.Inquiries@dhs.gov) or the U.S. Embassy’s Immigration Visa Unit (support-korea@ustraveldocs.com).

Obtaining a divorce in Korea is a complicated process for foreigners.  The information we provide here is only a general outline. You should obtain qualified legal counsel for questions regarding divorce.   The U.S. Embassy is prohibited from advising citizens on particular legal matters, however, we maintain a list attorneys to assist American citizens in locating an attorney. The list is not meant to be an exhaustive one, or to be construed as the U.S. Embassy’s endorsement or recommendation for any particular attorney. Please consult an attorney for specific guidance on this matter.

Jurisdiction: The first step in pursuing a divorce in Korea is establishing jurisdiction.  Usually Korean courts will accept the case if at least one of the parties involved in the divorce has habitual residence in Korea or if there are other substantial grounds for the divorce to be handled in Korea.  If both parties have habitual residence outside of Korea and the marriage was performed outside of Korea, ROK courts may not accept jurisdiction.  A legal professional can help you determine if it is appropriate to file for divorce in Korea.  If a Korean court accepts jurisdiction and one or both parties in the divorce have non-Korean nationality then the court may consider the laws of the other country during divorce proceedings.

Types and timing: Korean divorce proceedings are categorized into two types- consensual and judicial. Consensual divorce occurs when the parties are able to work out arrangements between themselves and only require a judge to witness their signature.  Judicial divorce occurs when the parties need the assistance of the court to come to an arrangement. The normal processing time for consensual divorce is one month, when no minor children are involved, and three months for cases involving a minor child.  For judicial divorce, the time required by the court to reach a decision varies depending on the complexity of the case, ranging from three months to two years for final processing.

Child Custody: In Korean divorce cases where a minor child is involved, the child’s best interests are always at the forefront of a custody decision and habitual residence of the parents and child play a significant role in the decision making.

When a divorce is consensual, the parties typically work out a mutually agreeable custody arrangement.  However, if an agreement is not made the case becomes a judicial divorce and the court makes a decision based on the best interest of the child.  In Korea, the police do not have authority to enforce visitation orders, whether domestic or international.  However, Korean law allows local courts to recognize foreign court orders in some cases.  A parent wishing to file a complaint about non-compliance of domestic visitation agreements should contact the family court in their district. If a parent violates visitation orders, the family court may impose a fine and/or temporary imprisonment.

Please note that Korean divorce decrees filed at the Seoul Family Court in Korea are kept for only one year.  Therefore, since foreigners do not have family census registries, we urge you to make duplicate copies as soon as you obtain the original document.  If the divorce decree is to be submitted to the U.S. Government, you must also provide an English translation which the Family Court will not do.  You may make arrangements through the office of your attorney to have a translation done for you.

Legal Services: In addition to the attorneys who have informed the U.S. Embassy of their interest in serving Americans, we are aware of the following pro-bono or discounted legal services which are available for those in need.

  • Seoul Global Center for Foreigners: Free legal services are available every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 2-5 pm. E-mail: hotline@seoul.go.kr  or call 02-2075-4130 ext 1 with inquiries or to schedule an appointment prior to your visit by calling 02-2075-4180.
  • KBA Legal Aid Foundation which was founded by the Korean Bar Association.  To apply for pro-bono services, you need to submit a statement regarding your situation along with an ID. The application is available on their website. It should take about two weeks for them to review the documents. If they determine that you are eligible for the free service, an English speaking lawyer will be appointed.
  • If you are in need of a translation service, we suggest that you contact Before Babel Brigade (BBB), a Korean networking organization that offers a free translation service. 24 hours/7 days.  Tel: 1588-5644

Can I get married to a same-sex spouse in Korea?

The Republic of Korea (ROK) government does not recognize same-sex marriages, even if those marriages are legally-recognized and performed in other countries, such as the United States.

So you’re getting married in Korea!

Frisch getraut

You bought the ring, you popped the question, you asked the parents and they told you that Aunt Bertha would be happy to sing at the event.  Everything is going as it should – well except for that Aunt Bertha thing.  As you happily stroll down the path, patting yourself on the back for being so organized your soon to be spouse smiles up at you and says “So this is going to be a fantastic party but do we have to do something to make this legal?”  Legal?  Oh man.  You hadn’t thought of that.  You were so focused on the party you forgot that marriage is actually a legal contract.  It’s not really a marriage if it’s not legally registered with the state.

So now you’re in a panic… how do I make this legal!  You try to think fast. You would ask your friend, cousin, aunt or sibling but they all got married back in the states and you’re fairly certain that as an American in a foreign country the process is probably going to be different.  Fortunately for you the American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy has some information for you. Continue reading

Do you need to report your marriage abroad to someone in the United States?

'the future is yours..'

Question: “I just got married in South Korea. Do I need to report this to someone in the United States?” Continue reading

Can I get a copy of my marriage certificate?

Built to last http://www.flickr.com/photos/67499195@N00/2568568840

Q:  I got married at the U.S. Embassy in Seoul, but I lost my marriage certificate and need to replace it.  Can you provide a new one to me?  Or an official copy?

Continue reading