Change Your Name in Your U.S. Passport

name_change1Keeping with the theme of earlier blog entry, it’s important to have your U.S. passport reflect the actual name you use legally.  There are many reasons why a U.S. citizen may need to change his or her name on their U.S. passport.  They may get married, they may have legally changed their name for some reason, or, as in case of many U.S. citizens in Korea, they may want to reconcile their “American” name on their U.S. birth certificate and their “Korean” name that is on Korean legal and school documents.  The good news is that you can apply for a new passport with proper documentation!  Please refer to our website: more information.


4 responses to “Change Your Name in Your U.S. Passport

  1. Dear US Embassy

    Thank you in advance for all the fantastic services to US citizens living in Korea.

    My name is Victor, a Korean American-US citizen living in Korea for more than 16 years.

    I own a business here and it has been difficult to use my name here in Korea and would like to change the name in my passport.

    I have asked a lawyer to get a court order for the name change in Korea but he tells me that it is not easy.

    According to your information, I can achieve the change in the passport name by actually applying for the new passport with name change AND visiting the agency. Is this correct?

    Many thanks,

    Victor Kang

    • Thank you for your inquiry. As stated on our website (, you will need to bring evidence to support your name change such a court order. If you are unable to bring a court order, please bring whatever you have available to support your official name change, and then please consult the consular officer about it. Please note that the fee will be either $ 110 or $ 135 depending on your situation.
      Thank you.

  2. Great Article. Thanks for the info, super helpful. Does anyone know where I can find a blank “DS Form 5504” to fill out?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s