I am a US citizen but I’ve never lived in the US, or I haven’t lived in the US for quite some time. Can I still vote?

The short answer is yes, but you have to take some steps to make sure you can receive an absentee ballot.

US citizens who have never voted or have not resided in the US for many years can use the last US address where they registered to vote or where they last resided while in the US.

Your college dormitory address can qualify as a valid address.

US citizens who have never resided in the US may register to vote at www.fvap.gov using their parents “US Address for Voting Purposes.  Please note that 22 states and the District of Columbia have passed laws allowing this so you should check with your local voting authority.

To register to vote and request an absentee ballot, every overseas voter must provide a “U.S. Address for Voting Purposes” in block 7 of the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) or Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB).Local election officials require this address to assign the voter a voting district.  There are no requirements for this address to be a currently valid address or residence, for the voter to maintain active ties to the address ( i.e., able to receive mail there), or even for the street to still exist.  Local election officials must simply be able to validate, that at the time the voter purportedly lived there, it was an actual address.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s